Every major sporting group has its unique way of accomplishing things, complete with billions of adoring fans and exceptional performances along with a prestigious grand prize at the end of each season. Even though the debate for which sport is considered the best in the world will rage on forever, we are here to answer the question as to which sports league produces the most money in revenue. Below, you will find sports teams according to the total income they generate to give you an indication as to how much money each sports league manages to bring in.
Sports Leagues by Revenue
- The NFL, or National Football League, is undoubtedly at the top in the United States as American Football brings in over $13 billion in Revenue.
- In second place is the MLB, or Major League Baseball, with a total revenue amount of $9.5 billion.
- The Premier League, consisting of association football between Wales and England, brings in a total of $5.3 billion in revenue.
- The NBA, or National Basketball Association, between the United States and Canada brings in a total of $4.8 billion in revenue.
- The NHL, or National Hockey League, between Canada and the United States brings in a total of $3.7 billion in revenue.
- The Bundesliga, which is association football in Germany, brings in a total of $2.8 billion in revenue.
- La Liga, which is association football in Spain, brings in a total of $2.2 billion in revenue.
- Serie A, which is association football in Italy, brings in a total of $1.9 billion in revenue.
- Ligue 1, which is association football in Monaco and France, brings in a total of $1.5 billion in revenue.
- Nippon Professional Baseball in Japan brings in a total of $1.1 billion in revenue.
Out of 20 sports leagues around the world, a total of 14 form part of association football groups. Football leagues provide a combined $19.4 billion in revenue, and most of them are situated in Europe which is not that surprising. On the other hand, you will notice that the top 5 places are dominated by American or Canadian sports league. Apart from dominating the top 5 positions, it also surpasses all other leagues when it comes to revenue. The NFL alone contributes $13 billion, while the MLB and the NFL combined offer $22.5 billion which is far more than the 14 football leagues combined. When you add the NHL and the NBA to the equation, the total revenue amount comes to $31 billion. This is more than any other sports leagues in the world, even when you combine them all.
What’s even more surprising is that Europe is focused on football alone when you look at the revenue it brings in. However, America and Canada are far more diverse when it comes to sport types as fans can enjoy ice hockey, American football, baseball, and basketball. Therefore, there’s no denying that sports league based in America or Canada provide the most revenue in the world.